At least once per month I try to publish news and tips to help you with Android.
You can check back here to see the latest Tips or subscribe to the newsletter and get notified by email of anything new.
Welcome the February Newsletter.
1. Is the Camera Good Enough?
Many people use their tablet/phone to take photos. If that is what you intend to do with yours then you need to take this into account when considering a new tablet/phone.
Not being into photography myself I did a little digging a while ago and found these articles that you may find useful.
- Really good video that explains the important points
- See Cnet article –Camera megapixels: Why more isn’t always better
- More than megapixels – what really counts in a smartphone camera
2. Charging Your Tablet
Did you know that charging your tablet using the USB from your computer takes longer than using a main adapter with USB.
USB 2 ports on computers are limited to around 500ma but Mains chargers can deliver up to 2A.
3. Email Documents to Your Android Kindle
Did you know that you can send pdf files and other files direct to the Kindle reader on your Android tablet? See sending Books to Kindle
4. SDcards and Speed Class
When purchasing SDcards for tablets/phones most people will just look at the size (standard,mini and micro) and capacity e.g 16GB.
SDcards also have a class rating 2,4,6,10 which indicates their writing speed.
Class 10 cards are the fastest which is why you will notice a considerable difference in price for 2 cards with the same capacity.
Generally if you are just using the external SD card to store photos,music and books then the speed isn’t an issue.
See this SD association page for more detail.
5. Protect You Google Play Account – Did you know that you can stop your kids purchasing and installing games without your approval? – See Understanding and Using the Google Play Store.
Getting Familiar with Android Terms
- IPS – Screen technology that is used on high end displays. IPS gives better quality image than non- IPS. See this description for more details.
- Multitasking – Multitasking is the ability to run more than one program at the same time. For example you can check email while playing a game.
- Wi_Fi Hotspot – A location were you can connect to a Wi-Fi network. See setting up Wi-fi on Android
If you have questions that you think I may help you with then the contact page and ask, and I will try to help.